Roast Turkey Recipe
Roast Turkey Recipes
4.5 kg oven ready turkey, with giblets (thawed if frozen)
1 large onion, peeled and stuck with 6 whole cloves
50g butter, softened
10 chipolata sausages
salt and freshly ground black pepper
fresh herbs, to garnish
225g rindless streaky bacon, chopped
1 large onion, finely chopped
450g pork sausage meat
25g rolled oats
30ml chopped fresh parsley
10ml dried mixed herbs
1 large egg, beaten
115g dried apricots, finely chopped
25g plain flour
450ml giblet stock
- Preheat the oven to 200C, Gas 6.
- To make the stuffing, cook the bacon and onion until the bacon is crisp and the onion tender.
- Mix with the remaining ingredients and season well.
- Stuff the neck end of the turkey.
- Reserve any remaining stuffing.
- Put the whole clove studded onion inside the turkey.
- Weigh the bird and calculate the cooking time: allow 20 minutes per 450g plus 15 minutes over.
- Place the turkey in a large roasting tin.
- Spread the turkey with the butter and season.
- Cover with foil and cook for 30 minutes.
- Baste with the pan juices.
- Lower the temperature to 180C, Gas 4 and cook for the rest of the calculated time (allow about 3.5 hrs for a 4.5kg bird).
- Baste every 30 minutes.
- Shape the remaining stuffing into small balls.
- Place on a baking tray and cook in the oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- About 20 minutes before the end of cooking put the sausages in the oven.
- Remove the foil from the turkey for the last hour of cooking.
- To test when the turkey is thoroughly cooked, insert a metal skewer into the thickest part of the thigh; the juices should run clear when the turkey is cooked.
- If the juices are still pink return the turkey to the oven and cook for another ten minutes before testing it again.
- Transfer the turkey to a plate, cover with foil and leave to stand for about 15 minutes before carving.
- To make the gravy, spoon off the fat from the tin, leaving the meat juices.
- Blend in the flour and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the stock, bring to the boil, season and pour into a sauce boat.
- To serve the turkey, surround with sausages and stuffing balls and garnish with herbs.
Serve with stuffing balls, roast potatoes. Brussels sprouts and gravy.
Get your herbs and spices' ingredients here
Learn how to Cook with Herbs and Spices
Subscribe to our newsletter.
More Herbs, Spices Main Meals Recipes
Herbs Spices Recipes All rights Reserved.
Contact Us |