Potato, Carrot and Barley Soup Recipe
Potato, Carrot and Barley Soup Recipes
2 oz butter
12 oz potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch
9 oz carrots, thinly sliced
1 large onion, chopped
1 tbsp plain flour
2 pints chicken stock
1/2 tsp dried mixed herbs
2 oz pearl barley, soaked overnight in
cold water, drained
1/2 pint milk
salt and pepper
- Melt the butter in a large
- Add the potatoes, carrots and
onion and fry gently, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle in the flour and cook for
1 minute more, then add 1.5 pints of the stock and bring to the
- Lower the heat, add the herbs and
season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and simmer gently for 30
minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Allow to cool slightly, then
transfer to a blender and process for 30 seconds until smooth.
- Return the soup to the rinsed pan,
stir in the remaining stock and the barley and bring to the boil.
- Lower the heat, cover and cook,
stirring occasionally, for a further 30 minutes until the barley is
- Stir in the milk and taste and
adjust the seasoning.
- Heat through gently.
- Serve the soup piping hot in
warmed bowls, garnished with croutons and parsley.
Get your herbs and spices' ingredients here
More Soup Recipes
Herbs Spices Recipes All rights Reserved.
Contact Us |